Kshetrajna

An attempt to know, understand (and ultimately, transform) that which occurs on the fields of play - India (her politics, media, music) and beyond ...

Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Quiz!

Every now and then you read something that makes you sit back and re-visit some of the assumptions (euphemism for prejudices!) you carry along. You wonder what ever drove you to view someone with such lenses, and having corrected said lenses, you begin to wonder if these lenses need further correction.

Here is something that I read from TSR's book that made me think about one person in a new light.

Question for the reader: can you identify who X is? Please provide your answer in the Comments section! Hint: X is a substantially prominent politician today.

TSR writes:

That year, X ... was the chief guest and [X] addressed the 200-odd IAS officers who had gathered at the meeting. What [X] had to say made me sit up indeed. [X] spoke on these lines: "You all have such excellent minds and education; some of you are scholars; some of you have Nobel prize minds; you will all succeed in any walk of life, wherever you turn your attention to; you have good jobs; you can educate your children well; and you are all respected by society; - (and then the clincher, raising ... voice) - Why do you come and touch my feet? Why do you come and lick my shoes? Why do you come to me for personal favours? When you do so, I will do as you desire and then extract my price from you.


I will disclose who X is after I have 10-20 guesses. Does what X say give us an idea why governance is what it is today in India?

2 Comments:

  • At 1:47 PM, Anonymous Kowsigan said…

    I will take two guesses here. First one would be Selvi Jayalalitha. The second one would be Mrs. Indira Gandhi?

    Regards
    Kowsigan

     
  • At 5:59 AM, Blogger Acharya said…

    Before I give you the answer to the quiz, here's something else that TSR writes about X.


    X was an excellent chief minister, with sound administrative acumen, decisive, and generally sure of his position.


    Who is X?
    Answer:X is Sri. Mulayam Singh Yadav.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home